Skip to content

Eyewitness account of terror attack?

The Daily Demarche has an apparent eyewitness’ account of December’s terrorist attack on the American Consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia:

Staff was just getting up from a meeting when suddenly a heavy metallic crash was heard outside. This was followed by a loud explosion and rapid automatic fire coming from the direction of [the] gate. The American consulate was under attack and terrorists were advancing on the chancery at a lightning speed! We had to reach the safehaven… folks would be depending on me to let them in! Within seconds, I made it into the XXX hallway just as duck and cover alarms went off. I could hear more machine gun fire near the chancery. My heart was pounding as I saw our Security officers running for their weapons.
During these first few seconds, Post One alerted the Marines and they grabbed their radios and gear but were unarmed. Post One advised them to stand fast because the terrorists were at the door the Marines were supposed to enter, firing their machine guns at the door. All of a sudden the terrorists ran toward the XXX building. When the area was clear again Post One said “GO GO GO”, directing the unarmed Marines to make a break for the back door of the chancery. As the Marines entered the back door, terrorists ran back spraying the door with machine gun bullets.

Another loud explosion occurred and over the radio in the Safehaven, we heard Post One say, “Three at the front!” The terrorists let out a spray of bullets against the glass doors, yet unable to get in, they tried to attach an explosive. Post One came back on the radio “terrorist are attaching device to the front door permission to GAS!” The RSO yelled, “GAS, GAS, GAS NOW!” over the radio. Post One activated the gas and the C/S fell right on top of the terrorists who then ran from the front doors. They ran around the chancery shooting into our office windows making it appear they were INSIDE and moving down the hall towards us! At that point, I was ordered to secure the vault door.
The Priority one order from the Principle Officer came next to start destroying classified material. The room began to grow very warm since the terrorists had taken out our four air-conditioning chillers. Head counts were taken over and over to determine who was accounted for and who was missing. This information was passed onto Riyadh. At this time, security became extremely annoyed with the blaring alarm system so we knocked out the speakers with our emergency ax.

I don’t know if this is a real account or not, so I’ll e-mail The Diplomad and ask.
Hat tip: Cheese & Crackers