New York Times spiked Obama/ACORN donor story

What a shock … the New York Times covered Obama’s butt during the 2008 election, preventing an unfavorable October surprise:

A lawyer involved with legal action against Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) told a House Judiciary subcommittee on March 19 The New York Times had killed a story in October that would have shown a close link between ACORN, Project Vote and the Obama campaign because it would have been a “a game changer.”
Heather Heidelbaugh, who represented the Pennsylvania Republican State Committee in the lawsuit against the group, recounted for the ommittee what she had been told by a former ACORN worker who had worked in the group’s Washington, D.C. office. The former worker, Anita Moncrief, told Ms. Heidelbaugh last October, during the state committee’s litigation against ACORN, she had been a “confidential informant for several months to The New York Times reporter, Stephanie Strom.”
Ms. Moncrief had been providing Ms. Strom with information about ACORN’s election activities. Ms. Strom had written several stories based on information Ms. Moncrief had given her.

During the March 19th hearing, Heidelbaugh testified (emphasis mine):

The New York Times articles stopped when Ms. Moncrief, who is a Democrat and a supporter of the President, revealed that the Obama Presidential Campaign had sent its maxed out donor list to Karen Gillette of the Washington, DC ACORN office and asked Gillette and Ms. Moncrief to reach out to the maxed out donors and solicit donations from them for Get Out the Vote efforts to be run by ACORN. Upon learning this information and receiving the list of donors from the Obama Campaign, Ms. Strom reported to Ms. Moncrief that her editors at the New York Times wanted her to kill the story because, and I quote, “it was a game changer”. That’s when Ms. Moncrief telephoned me on October 21, 2008. Ms. Strom never wrote another article about ACORN for the New York Times for the remainder of the period before Election Day, i.e. November 4, 2008.

Can you say “illegal coordination“? I knew you could.

12:10 AM Update: NixGuy has more.

Hats off to Brit Hume

Brit Hume wrapped up his career as a full-time journalist tonight when he signed off at the end of Special Report. The guy’s a no-b.s., fair, balanced, unafraid reporter who has earned his retirement.

America needs more reporters like him. I’ll miss watching him in the evenings.

Scott McClellan lied about Fox News talking points

Former White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan recently pandered to überlefty Keith Olbermann, claiming that Fox News parroted talking points sent to them by the White House …

… but retracted his claim when confronted by Bill O’Reilly:

Just listen to this guy frantically try to avoid admitting his falsehoods. He’s not a very good spin doctor, and O’Reilly flat out pins McClellan’s hide to the wall, vaporizing the last shreds of credibility this flack still had.
Hat tip: Thespis Journal

Since we’re discussing Iraq, GEN Petraeus, propaganda, and such

If you’d like to hear from the front-line troops in Iraq, go browse the listings at MilBlogging.com and decide for yourself whether General Petraeus is telling the truth.
Also be sure to read the work of independent journalists embedded with the guys out on the bleeding edge: Michael Yon, Bill Roggio, Michael J. Totten, Bill Ardolino, Austin Bay, JD Johannes, and Pat Dollard. These guys are out in the thick of it, and they’re not beholden to the Bush administration or to anybody else but the thousands of donors who fund their work.

UPDATE: Yon on Petraeus

Progress on CENTCOM online news?

On Wednesday afternoon, shortly after helping U.S. Central Command improve its news distribution from the war zone, I sent the following e-mail to CENTCOM’s Public Affairs Office:

Your CENTCOM podcast feed at …
[link shortened]
… is broken. You’ve been uploading new podcasts all the way through 31 AUG 07, but the podcast feed has nothing new after 26 JAN 07. Just go look at …
[link shortened]
… and you’ll see. Please fix this ASAP. CENTCOM needs this podcast to function if America is to win the information war against the jihadis.
Incidentally, the following feeds are also woefully outdated (perhaps dead?):
[link shortened]
[link shortened]

Yesterday afternoon, CENTCOM replied:

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I have contacted our web masters and you should see something new within the next couple of days. Thanks again for your support.
V/R
Master Sgt. S. Crumes
Public Affairs Operations NCO
US Central Command
(813) 827-6761
DSN 312-651-6761
Cell [snipped]
Fax 813-827-2211
parkersy@centcom.mil
www.centcom.mil

CENTCOM’s three dead feeds disappeared this morning, but the two good ones remained. That leads me to believe that somebody’s working on the problem. Unfortunately CENTCOM’s entire site dropped offline this afternoon. I’ll be watching to see what happens.

CENTCOM needs to get aggressive in the propaganda war (UPDATED)

With General Petraeus’ progress report on Iraq almost upon us, it’s time to revisit the propaganda war (and our military’s lack of success therein).
Last year Tom Blumer wondered why CENTCOM’s news releases weren’t showing up in key places online. I suggested solutions and followed up on Tom’s excellent work. Since then, CENTCOM has taken some steps to put out some news feeds and make them available online, but their publicity effort’s still woefully lacking.
Enough dilly-dallying. I dug around CENTCOM’s site, found 5 feeds, and did their public affairs work for them … and it took me all of 45 minutes.
Those five feeds are now hooked into several search engines and feed-publicizing web services, so whenever CENTCOM posts a new item, everyone will know. Google Blog Search, My Yahoo, Technorati, Bloglines, Apple’s iTunes, Syndic8, FeedBlitz … it’s all covered. You can even subscribe to any feed by e-mail, if you want.
Here are the five feeds:

US CENTCOM News

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

US CENTCOM Audio News

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

US CENTCOM Press Releases

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

US CENTCOM Video News

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

US CENTCOM Photo Feed

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Please spread the word far and wide. I’m only one voice.

9/6 Update: If you don’t know what a “feed” is (nor why you should care) here’s a one-page answer.

Thou shalt be nice to thine enemy, lest ye be sued

Imagine you’re in the military and your unit is in Iraq, facing an angry mob made up of both civilians and terrorists … and you can’t tell one from the other. Would it be better to disperse the crowd by using a non-lethal heat ray, or would it be better to open fire and risk civilian casualties? Which approach would cause the western media to scream the loudest? Would the career-conscious/prison-averse commander be wise to retreat rather than try to break up the mob?
Discuss.

“Barack The Magic Negro” video

No doubt you’ve heard about this.

Folks, Limbaugh does not produce videos. He didn’t create this. It’s not available on his site. It was posted on YouTube and was apparently created by some web site called politicalpartypoop.com, got it?
For Heaven’s sake, look at the text that opens the video. Read. The. Text.
The SONG is posted on Limbaugh’s site, but not the VIDEO. Rush Limbaugh DID NOT CREATE THIS VIDEO.
Morons taken in by the video:
USAToday’s Mark Memmott and Jill Lawrence
KOVR Channel 13 (CBS affiliate in Sacramento)
DiversityInc Magazine’s Aysha Hussain
Joe Gandelman
Tennessee Guerrilla Women
The Mahablog
Radar Online
BlogHer’s Laina Dawes
Dr. Marc Lamont Hill
DailyKos’ StormBear

CENTCOM’s news problem

It’s been almost a week since I suggested simple solutions to CENTCOM’s difficulties in spreading good news from Iraq and Afghanistan. CENTCOM has seen my post, but as far as I can tell they’ve done nothing. The solutions I suggested are free and easy to implement. CENTCOM has three people dedicated full time to getting out the news online. I’m no tech geek, and it only took me one hour to tweak my site in the way I recommended to them. It’s taken CENTCOM 295 hours and counting.
What’s the hold up, CENTCOM? You don’t have to get General Abizaid’s permission to change the way your news feeds work, nor do you need his permission to e-mail Yahoo News and Google News with a request to include your feeds in their search engine results. I was once a junior officer myself, and I know a top-heavy staff structure can stifle your initiative … but only if you let it. Ask forgiveness, not permission. I identified your problem and gave you a free and simple solution. By failing to take action you are derelict in your duties.
You are fighting a war in the news media, where enemy propaganda has already severely eroded public support for our military’s efforts. Without public support, our government will pull our troops out of Iraq before we achieve victory. For the public to support the war, they must hear the truth about our successes. Your mission is to get the truth out. You are failing to accomplish your mission.

UPDATE: BizzyBlog’s Tom Blumer is still waiting for a response from Google News.