Louisiana Attorney General Buddy Caldwell recently filed a tax lien against ACORN for $548,000:
The subpoenas from Caldwell, served last month, became widely known this week. They were served on the former chief of ACORN, Wade Rathke, who now runs the offshoot Acorn International, as well as Whitney Bank, where ACORN keeps its accounts.
The subpoenas seek a broad range of information since 1998 from ACORN and what the documents say are 361 related tax-exempt and non-tax-exempt organizations:
- All W-2 tax income reports and 1099 tax filings issued
- A list of every employee
- All state and federal tax returns
- Organizational charts for every affiliate
- All audited financial statements
- Documents related to the theft of nearly $1 million by Rathke’s brother, Dale Rathke, who worked in the organization
Here’s a brief write-up by The Pelican Institute for Public Policy:
ACORN Tax Lien in Lousiana
I simply cannot wait to see what this subpoena unearths. There’s a backlog of decades of scum and dirty dealings in ACORN’s past, and I am close to 100% certain that some of it will tie directly to Barack Obama’s involvement with the group in the 1990s.
Of course, that’s assuming that ACORN and company haven’t already destroyed the incriminating records. Which is a big assumption.